Monday, January 4, 2010

Full Disclosure


Where I Went on My Christmas Vacation
Christmas and New Years were spent in Florida. While it wasn't exactly warm - never warm enough for me to wear shorts - we did miss some of Central Iowa's 27 inches (68.5 cm) of December snow.
It was so nice to take Hogan for a walk with no ice or snow underfoot.
But, I couldn't quite adjust to the sight of palm trees sporting Christmas decorations!
We stayed at Village Sands, a condo complex in Indian Shores.

One resident annually hires a sand sculptor to make a Christmas creation for all beach-goers to enjoy.

Not many people spend Christmas at the beach. I found it quite nice, and quiet for a Christmas day walk.
We didn't have a typical Christmas (for example, no tree) instead focusing on the reason for Christmas (we attended a Baptist church for worship), and spending time with our son and DIL. The gift we received from our kids was very thoughtful: a Des Moines Civic Center gift certificate. And my gift was to get a treatment for toenail fungus. There's only one podiatrist in Iowa offering this new, PinPointe Laser treatment. Granted, it isn't fabric, but what girl doesn't want pretty toes so she can wear sandals in the summer?

Actually, it's a physical shock to be back in Iowa's snow and cold! There are lots of grumbles emanating from our house about the below zero (IE: -24 C) temperatures today and through this week. But I intend to make the best of staying indoors. After several weeks of doing only handwork - I got a lot of hexagons pieced - I'm looking forward to using my sewing machine again. Unfortunately though, for the fourth time, my eight year-old Bernina (model QE153) needs a major repair. I've already replaced the: 1) bobbin case base, 2) thread take-up mechanism, and 3) the body case. I know I use my machine a lot, but these repairs are frustrating, especially when an annual tune-up is $80+.

The newest problem is with the knee lift.
While pushing the knee lift to the right, to raise the presser foot, the presser foot dropped, making a ka-thunk sound. The internal knee lift assembly will likely need to be replaced. Servicing...again. (Sigh.) I've sewn on a Bernina since 1972. My old model 830 is a workhorse (though it's not suitable for non-stop free-motion quilting). Perhaps Bernina's quality isn't what it once was. Should my next machine be a different brand? What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see that you were able to get a little reprieve from the snow, even though temporary. I had a chuckle when I read about the decorations on the palm trees and how you needed to get used to seeing it that way. I guess when you're around palm trees all the time, decorating them seems rather natural. LOL
    I wish you and your family a fabulous New Year.
    Hauoli Makahiki Hou!
    Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly understand Christmas in Florida! Palm trees with Christmas decorations!

    I'm glad to hear you made it safely home.

    A sewing machine is such a personal decision. I'm sure it's frustrating to have so many repairs. I love my Bernina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 27 inches of snow? It is nice to know you enjoyed missing those falls! Should I expect to see photographs of your feet in a future post?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda I'm envious of your Florida vacation, especially since I've just returned from my sister's in Missouri when it was minus 2°. And this week here in Arkansas, where we never really get winter, it's supposed to be in the single digits. I'm sorry about your sewing machine - have you considered an upgrade? blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin