Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Machine and Friends

This week has started with a couple fun activities. First, after much research that mostly involved talking with helpful quilting friends, I decided to purchase this three-year old Pfaff Grand Quilter machine through Craigslist. The seller was offering it along with a stitch regulator and Inspira quilt frame, neither of which I wanted, so I was very please to learn I could purchase the machine separately.
Though the needle threader is missing (I never use one anyway) and the telescoping thread holder is damaged, I think both are easily repairable and in no way impact the mechanical aspects of this machine. Since oiling it, putting in a new needle, and making tension adjustments, it's running like a champ. I couldn't be more pleased with my bargain purchase.

Of course, being anxious to free-motion quilt on my new machine, I had to whip up a quilt top! After seeing this one on Rene's blog, I wanted to make it too. The original design is a pattern called "Red Centre" from Material Obsessions. After doing some math, I made my 44" X 56" quilt from 4" (finished) blocks.You can see that I made it with bright, kid-friendly prints, and my all-time favorite "bullseye" white-on-white print from Timeless Treasures. In the past year I've used nearly 7 yards of bullseye in quilts! Sadly, I have only 1/3 yard left.The second fun thing this week was to visit several Iowa quilt shops with my friends. Susan, Michelle, Kim and I went to the Quilting Connection in Ames, Block Party Studios in Nevada, and Quilter's Cupboard in Ankeny.
Being the practical sort, my purchases were needed fabric for quilt backings and binding, machine needles, and a big hunk of Hobbs wool. The latter is for my next new adventure in free-motion quilting with that Pfaff.

None of us went overboard adding to our stashes, but still had a great time together. Chatter was pretty much non-stop, except when our mouths were occupied with lunch or a treat from Dairy Queen. What a blessing it is to have friends with whom you can share your life and be yourself. Thank you, Buds!

Like I said, "Fun!"

11 comments:

  1. I love and miss all of those shops! Hubby and I lived briefly in Huxley, IA before we moved away from IA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you made a great acquisition on the sewing machine. Really like that quilt a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on that new machine. I knew that once you decided on what to purchase you would make great use of it. The quilt is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your machine. I hope you get many years and quilts of enjoyment out of it. I followed your link back to your handpieced stars - a beautiful quilt. Makes me want to make one too, but I have all these spool to get together first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also wanted to make that quilt after seeing it on Rene's blog. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda..I have that machine, and love it ...love that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the Pfaff Grand Quilter! I can't wait to see the good stuff you get going with it.

    I'm sad to hear that you're out of the bulls eye fabric. I've been keeping my eye out for it. It's a great fabric and it looks great with your latest quilt (which is fab).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does your new machine have a longer throat? Hope you just love it! The MO pattern is one I have admired many times on Kathy's blog. Yours is so cute! I'd love to make it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your new machine. Love the very interesting quilt top. I've never seen a pattern like that. Happy Quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats your new find. I don't think I would be brave enough to buy something on the list. What an interesting pattern in your quilt. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely day out and what a bragain machine, glad you love it.
    The top is stunning Linda!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin