Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fun with Dick and Jane

Last April, my BFAB Carla, organized a swap of 5" I-Spy squares. With three little grandsons, I knew I'd need a lot of blocks, so I swapped three sets. Even though I was very pleased with the squares I received, I continued to pick up fat quarters here and there. Then, a very good friend, Norma, simply gave me a whole lot more squares that she had from the same swap! Thank you very much, Norma!

One of my little grandies, 26 month-old Tay, is talking up a storm. He's speaking in complete sentences. For example, he recently said to his mom, "Talk to Nana on the 'puter." (Skype). He's learning so quickly that I decided that by Christmas he will be good and ready for the fun and challenge of an I-Spy quilt. And his little 13 month-old brother will benefit too.

With inspiration from Robin who made this quilt seen on Carla's blog, I made this quilt top one evening.
incomplete quilt top, 45" X 54"
I inquired how Robin quilted hers, and then agreed with her assessment that an all over design is the only way to quilt such a busy top. This is my first quilting attempt at big, loopy bubbles. I like them!


Finished I-Spy, 48" X 57"
I couldn't leave out a square of UNI Panther (University of Northern Iowa) fabric. A couple years ago, I bought four yards of it when I came across it at a local quilt show. Last year, I went to the UNI campus to look for it in the University Bookstore, I learned that the fabric had been printed without legal permission! I've since been very particular about where and how I use the precious amount of fabric I have left.

For the back, I came across the perfect fabric in the bottom of one of my bins. It's Michael Miller's "Dick and Jane" fabric that I bought when it came out about five years ago.

It will be ideal in helping teach alphabet letters and perhaps a few words. After all, Dick, Jane and Sally - Spot and Puff too - taught me to read!

The quilt front has 99 squares, so with Christmas tree beside the label, that makes 100 blocks for the boys to I-Spy.

I can't wait to play it with them. Linda

15 comments:

  1. Very cool! Love the sashing and binding fabric! Where's the Hawkeye fabric?! Mary N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't beat a great I Spy quilt for little people, can you. The boys will gave such fun with you! Dick and Jane fabric aleays brings back childhood memories for me too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it...great I Spy quilt...must be the child in me...what fun!
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure this quilt will entertain the little one for a long time! And after he's been entertained he (and you) can snuggle under it. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is darling. I love the way you put the lighter pieces in the center and then used the sashing. The boys will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. some fabulous fabrics in those charm squares - those boys will have such a fun time with it - love the pink flamingos :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. really like how you put those together!! i have two i spy's i'm wanting to do, but see some really cool ones that just floor me the time involved setting off each block. i love the simplicity, yet beauty of how you've done it--great inspiration--maybe i'll get it together one of these days--pun totally intended!! thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  8. That should keep them entertained for a long time. Well done with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute it all turned out, Linda! I think I might use this setting for my last I SPY....one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're going to have so much fun with your grandsons and the "I Spy" quilt! I've always wanted to make one, maybe someday if I have grandchildren I'll do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know they're going to love this quilt - I've seen little ones get I Spy quilts before and they spend hours searching! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. linda--i got one i-spy top done--quite similar to yours, but not exactly. thanks for inspiration to finally do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oH, what fun that will be to play I spy with the grandkids. Great quilt. I really like the way you added the sashing to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome quilt...
    I made one for our 4 year old grand-daughter, but did not get a picture of her with it. She was having a meltdown..too much stimulation maybe. Love your backing fabric!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin