Friday, November 4, 2011

Putting it All on the Table

There's nothing like "company's coming," to get me motivated to take care of details that I've meant to do anyway, but put off for too long. A couple weeks ago I expected a houseguest for several nights. Sadly, she wasn't able to make it, but I'm ready for the next time!

Place mats. Have you made them? It seems a lot of bloggers are offering place mat tutorials. They're nice place mats. Pretty. But not designed for a round table! I've tried using rectangle place mats on our round, drop-leaf table and didn't like them. And I certainly couldn't serve my guests on a bare wood table! What to do? Design my own of course!

From a piece of freezer paper, I made a place mat template that matched the curve of the table. The place mat measures approximately 14" X 16". I figure I needed one yard each of two fabrics for the front and back of four place mats.

In my never-ending endeavor to reduce my stash, it seemed best to make some fabric from my scraps. This is what I unearthed as I was looking for the dark reds, burgundies - "wine-colored fabrics" sounds better - to coordinate with our burgundy-colored stoneware.

After several hours of sewing, this is the piece of fabric I made. It has a smattering of golds and greens too.

The place mats that would be sewn primarily from Kona Snow solid, so with my newly-created fabric I cut a decorative insert - a trim. Using a freezer paper insert pattern piece (3"-wide), I pressed it to the fabric and rotary cut.

I cut apart the place mat template and used the two pieces to cut two pieces from Kona Snow. I pinned and sewed the fabric insert to the Kona pieces. A gentle curve like this isn't difficult to sew.

Thermore batting is inside each place mat. I chose Thermore because it's very thin. For something like these place mats, it's the best batting to use so drinking glasses and wine glasses have a stable base.

When the first place mat passed my approval, I made three more. Most often, this is what our table will look like.

The place mat backs are just as serviceable as the fronts. Perhaps more so because they'll hide someone's sloppy dribbles!

The place mats can be rotated and still look nice. A few lines of staggered curved quilting is all that was needed to hold it all together.

I think these make a pretty table setting in our kitchen eating area.

What's for dinner?
Linda

18 comments:

  1. They are lovely, Linda. After all that nice work you did, I think Dan should treat you to one of his most delicious meals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your placemats. They are unique as well as beautiful. I'd like to try your technique on my rectangle mats. Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great your placemat. For round Tales I also like placemats in hexagon shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fantastic Linda. Wonderful design. Thanks for sharing with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your placemats! Also like the "fabric" you made. Almost looks like a crazy quilt technique I've done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever idea for the fabric for your arc. A great way to use up scraps. I love these placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely placemats - love your unique fabric ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea....they have turned out so well! I think if I started sewing scraps together to make fabric I could make a car cover....easily....LOL.....love the colours you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I really like the scrappy accent piece you added.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea. I also have a round table and share your frustration. I like the idea of a template to match the curve. Octagon placemats can work - I`ve cut the corners off rectangular ones if they`re the type that won`t fray. I`m not sure how you pieced the scrappy piece .... can you give us a little more instruction on that? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea. I love your "made" fabric, great colour choices. In this house, I'd need to use the colourful backs for my kids! Now, just to check my diary to see when I'm available for dinner with you! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your placemats are so clever! Too bad your guest had to miss them....hopefully, she can make it another time!
    I especially liked seeing your scrap collection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely design Linda, they look very elegant and chic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty, Linda! You are so very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so clever - the placemats are absolutely chic looking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well,look at you making a new design. It is perfect. You are so talented. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Boy, those are really well thought out! I think your patchwork strip is a clever touch, Linda. You make me want a circle table, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin