Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Down to the Wire

Whew! Two weeks to make two start-to-finish quilts is almost more than this old gal can handle! But I reached my goal to finish Urban Abacus, a design by Sew Kind of Wonderful by year end, upping my quilt tally by one.

This quilt design is one of three Sew Kind of Wonderful designs, using the Quick Curve Ruler, that I will teach in the Beyond First Time Quiltmaking series in March and May. If you're local, and interested, click the "Schedule" tab above.

Assorted fabrics from my stash were chosen in a limited color pallet (orange and aqua are two favorites) and include pieces of a favorite collection: Terra Australis by Emma Jean Jansen. Background fabric is Kona white; vertical bars and binding are grey Crosshatch by Carolyn Friedlander.

For free motion quilting, I took my cues from the pattern cover quilt. Jenny quilts on a longarm, so it was a fun challenge for me to get a look similar to hers. To make the hundreds of spaced lines, I used two different lengths of Fine Line Rulers. I used the eight inch ruler to quilt the bars.

And I used the short, six inch ruler to quilt the "beads." Here's a short video.

 Quilting is fairly dense; I spent about 15 hours at my Pfaff, quilting this 51" X 66" quilt.

From the back...


Urban Abacus brings my 2014 total to 12 quilts made this year. See all 12 quilts by clicking the "2014 Quilts" tab above.

I'm not about to set any quilt goals for next year. I've learned that unplanned events happen - sometimes a health concern - that can make goal-setting a disappointing failure. Instead, I choose to look on the positive side, and review what was accomplished the previous year. That's what I'll be doing in my next blog post. Linda

18 comments:

  1. Looks great. I'm going to see about getting a ruler foot this year . My one new thing. You make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newbie question here...is it burying your ends for you? Or how is that miracle happening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JAB - I am unable to reply to your comment because of your Blogger setting to "no reply." So, I hope you read this. When quilting, I sometimes bury threads, and sometimes I don't. If the quilt isn't for show/display, and will be well-loved and used, then I simply shorten the stitch length when starting and ending, and clip the threads. If the quilt is to hang on a wall, or enter in a show, I take the time to bury thread tails.

      Delete
  3. Happy new year Linda. Can't wait to see what's in store for 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice quilt! I'm off to see the year's 12. Thanks for noting the quilt show date... Had it wrong on the calendar. Thanks for the video and all the info your blog offers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty quilt to finish with. I have this ruler and I hope to make a quilt with it this year. I think this is one of the patterns I bought! Happy New Year Linda! I will see you on IG too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I knew how to fix that....I'll work on my settings, darn them. Thanks for the reply!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, perhaps that fixed it. Otherwise, jennifer.a.bloxham@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to seeing what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These fabric are wonderful! I really like the way you quilted this one. It's just beautiful all around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a pretty quilt! I wish I could take a class in sewing curves from you!! They puzzle my organised brain! Here's to another productive year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quilt looks fabulous, worth every bit of effort and what a year you had! I am looking forward to spending 2015 enjoying your creativity at your own timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! Making quilts is never an effort. Well, unless I'm rushing to meet a self-imposed deadline. I appreciate all your kind words. (Did you know you're a "no-reply commenter"?)

      Delete
  12. Another beautiful quilt. You have some lovelies this year for sure. I have never tried to use a ruler with my domestic. May have to give it a shot in 2015 on some of my smaller tops. it is a pain to use the long arm for those small ones.
    Thanks for all your inspirations and sharing your techniques throughout the year. I wish I were in Fla to take class with you sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really turned out fabulous and I love the limited color palette that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always liked this pattern. Wonderful quilting as usual Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilting! I also love the quote by Earl Nightingale. I've never read it before now. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that idea of reviewing rather than formulating goals that might possibly disappoint. You always have such great ideas! That quilting is gorgeous--thanks for the little video.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin