Thursday, March 31, 2016

A Little Catch-Up

It's been a week since I posted, so I feel the need to say hi.

Thanks to each of you who commented in my last post, or texted, or emailed, to ask how my leg angiogram went last Friday. As expected, the doc found that the six inch-long stent in my femoral artery - that had been placed there 26 months ago - was blocked with plaque. Since I was mostly awake during the 20 minute procedure, over my head I watched the machine the doc used to balloon out the plaque. At my follow-up appointment on Wednesday, I learned that he also peeped down my left leg and says it's still looking clear (that leg was opened February 15). Suffice it to say that: procedure days are always long, like six hours or more; a few techs are getting to know me by name - "Weren't you in here a few weeks ago?" - and; I'll be forever grateful for the attentive care I receive from Dr. Q. I don't anticipate any problems with my legs for at least the rest of 2016. But, Dr. Q plans to monitor my carotid arteries and heart for plaque built-up which haven't been problematic like my legs have been. In late June I'll return for testing.

So! Getting down to more important things... While I recuperated from my angiogram, I worked on these 4-1/2" (side measurement) Spinning Wheel English paper-pieced blocks, making two more during my down time. I started this a while back after seeing a finished quilt made like, using EQ 7 to draft and print card stock papers. No surprise, this is a long-term project.

I also finished a quilt! No full view pictures to share yet because I want to get outdoors to take proper pictures, but this is the one I made with more than one thousand scrappy 2-1/2" squares. Here's a link to my EQ7 design for this free block. I haven't come up with a name for the quilt. Do you too find naming a quilt hard to do? It seems the more quilts I make, the more difficult it is to come up with a name.

The quilting shows up well because this is what double batting looks like. It's Quilter's Dream request loft poly with wool on top of that. Thread is gray 50-weight Prescencia that I received in a gift box from MassDrop. It might have been the thread that caused me fits as I was quilting. Every eight to ten inches or so, the thread broke. Though I changed the needle from an 80, then to a 90, and finally a 100, and adjusted the tension, and cleaned and oiled the machine (twice), the problem persisted, though became less frequent. Quilting in those circumstances about made me want to tear my hair out. It will be interesting to see how the next quilt goes as I plan to use different thread.

Oh! And my Canon S100 camera was returned to me today. That's why I was able to take the photos above. I'm tickled that it's working, but the fix wasn't free, as I hoped it would be. A sense part had broken. My options were to either fix it for $160, or buy a replacement camera for $335. I'm a smart girl, aren't I?

Friday, April 1 finds me teaching all day again. Ten students have registered for Free Motion Quilting through the Lifelong Learning College. I'm looking forward to seeing a few familiar faces, and imparting my love of quilting to all of them. Will let you know how it goes. Linda

13 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing better pictures of your finished quilt. I just LOVE 2.5" squares. (I steal my friends' scraps so that I can cut more 2.5 inchers. And I trade for them too). I had a piece of that pink rosebud fabric visible on a fold in the first picture. Long gone now...

    Glad you're feeling better too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your EPP project is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing the full reveal of the other quilt too. And also glad that you are receiving good care on that pesky plaque.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that you feel better. It's always difficult to allow ourselves the time needed to get better...
    The EPP project is looking fantastic. I have seen a quilt made from that block too, somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad things went well. Don't overdo, I hope the class goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way the EPP is coming along. Nice to have one of those projects to fall back on when you need a hand project. Thanks for the block pattern, I've been looking for a leader/ender project and that will work nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving your EPP project! It will be another bright and cheery quilt! Bet it's as pretty as your latest finish! Looking forward to seeing a picture of the whole thing. So glad your procedure is behind you. I hope the rest of the year is healthy and fun! Enjoy your class! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love those EPP blocks. I've seen a lovely quilt made from the same type of blocks and really liked it so I can see why you were tempted into making them. It will be fantastic when you get it together. Hope you can stay away from your Dr for a good long time now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to get an update from you on your legs. I feel surrounded by people with health challenges, but luckily they are all like you: take it in stride, do what you have to do, and get back to the creative life. I appreciate your attitude, even though I know at times that it must be wearying.

    Okay--on to the quilts. Love your scrappy finish (such a great block--I clicked over to look), and I hear you on the breaking thread thing. That always makes the process so much longer, but even with that obstacle, your quilting is gorgeous! I love your EPP blocks. I saw the original of that quilt (or what I think is the original) at Road this year, and yours will match it easily. It really is a fun design.

    Thanks for your blog--always a pleasure to read it, even though I don't get to the commenting. With all the crazy news about IG, it's nice to go back to reading "long" form quilting blogs, with their abundance of conversation, quilts, and best yet, the quilter. Yours excels on all counts.
    :) Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are doing well!!! And productive as always! Love the colors in this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the update on your doctor visit. Glad it went as well as it did. I love your EPP project, but I'll pass on that one. Now the other one, the scrappy 2.5", that's a different matter. I think it is calling my name again. I'm trying hard not to start new scrap quilts until I get some of mine quilted....but I can always start slow, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're right back at it with teaching FMQ after recovering from your procedure. Hope all goes well. Having your hand work at the ready is a good way to while away the down time. And it will grow little by little. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear the doctor's visit had some positive outcomes! And your new rainbow quilt is looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad your procedure went well but bummer you have to keep going thru this. And darn about that thread breaking! SO frustrating!!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin